Friday, February 5, 2010

Polar Plunge

Last Saturday Andy and one of his fellow law students ran in a 5K and then dove into a freezing Shawnee lake for Special Olympics. The kids and I came along for moral support.
And they're off.........
Drew and Jillian running to meet daddy and finish the race with him.
Holding hands and running to the finish line.
Daddy taking a breather. It was a little painful on his lungs, running in that cold of weather. The race was at 11:00 am and the plunge at noon. I don't think it even made it above freezing while we were there.
Batman, ready for the plunge. I use the term ready, lightly.
Brian and Andy
Some of outfits people had on were quite amusing. The picture below was trying to get the person in the camo with the decoy on their back. I guess so when they dove in it looked like a goose on the lake. (That is a goose, right?)
Lots of ugly hairy men in drag.
They had to break the ice on the lake that morning for the plunge. Notice the presence of the rescue divers, yikes. I don't think they were utilized that day, thank goodness.
Waiting for their turn.
All the plunge pictures were taken by another fellow student with our camera, while I was watching the kids play in the sand.
Andy mid-dive.
He swam out all the way to the edge and gave the divers high fives.
Heading back in.
Andy still smiling while drenched in freezing lake water. Such a good sport.
Trying to warm up.
They even made the Topeka news.
Glad he made the news, so I could see him plunging. While he was jumping in I was dealing with a situation. Drew was in time out and his crying must have been really annoying. A mentally handicap kid, probably 16 or 17 came up and threw a whole handful of sand in Drew's face. No one saw it coming and his eyeballs were caked with sand. Of course this resulted in screaming bloody murder. I didn't have water and couldn't find any. He was crying wet sand tears. It was horribly sad, he couldn't understand the situation. This kid was adult size, so he kept crying why did that evil man throw sand in my face. His eyes were irritated all day and we were picking sand off his eyeballs at 8:00pm that night. It was a very difficult situation, I didn't even really know how to handle it. I just took him away from the "kid", tried to find water and waited for Andy to be done. Stress, chaos, drama seems to follow us where ever we go. He hasn't mentioned it since Elmo so I am pretty sure he is not permanently scarred by it.

0 comments: